Per a friend over at SoftGoza, for the first time in its existence, Nintendo is entering the mobile world. On March 17, Nintendo held a conference to talk about their results in the most recent quarter and unveiled that they will be releasing 5 games for iOS and Android by 2017. Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata also announced that the company will be partnering with Japanese mobile gaming company DeNa to create brand new IP for the release.
Following the announcement, Nintendo stocks went up 27.5%, which proves investors are interested in watching the company develop a mobile game strategy. Partnering with DeNa is a strong move for Nintendo, as they have created successful games like Marvel War of Heroes and Star Wars: Galactic Defense. DeNa’s CEO Shintaro Asako is well versed in the world of mobile gaming and wants to make sure that Nintendo’s transition into that world is well received.
“I understand some people like RPGs, casual games,” Asako said. “That’s why we decided to work together to create five games, hitting on different genre-utilizing IPs. We want to make sure out of those five IP that we can end up attracting hundreds of millions of people.”
Fans are curious if this new direction will be backed by the previous success from games like Mario, Zelda, and Kirby, but so far it seems like we should be expecting brand new IP. Nintendo realizes that they need to raise the bar with their game releases since the mobile gaming world is quite erratic. By planning on releasing five games by 2017, with one release at the end of 2015, it allows them the opportunity to delve into this market but also ensure that quality exists within each game.
“This will allow us to build a bridge between smart devices and gaming consoles,” Iwata said. “It doesn’t mean smart devices will eat away at gaming consoles, it will create an entirely new type of demand.”
Even though we don’t know for certain if our favourite moustached plumber will make an appearance, I’m anxiously awaiting downloading the first game onto my iPhone.