Capturing your screen on Mac is not a difficult process. But if you have not used a Mac before, you might face troubles with this otherwise easy task.
To help you breeze through the process, the following steps outline how to screenshot on Mac.
How to Screenshot on Mac?
There are various ways to take a screenshot on Mac. These options also let you choose from capturing your entire screen, a specific portion, or a certain window.
Capture Your Entire Screen on Mac
In order to take the screenshot of your entire screen, you need to do the following.
- Make sure that your screen is set up to take the screenshot
- Press Shift + Command + 3
- Verify if your screenshot is saved to your desktop
You can also edit your screenshot by clicking the small thumbnail that appears on the corner of your screen right after your screenshot. Otherwise, you can access the same file through your desktop. This applies to the following methods as well.
Capture a Portion of Your Screen on Mac
If you have just learned how to screenshot on Mac, this approach might be a bit tricky. But it is still fairly simple to get through. You just need to be ready for the additional steps.
- Make sure that you have the desired portion of your screen ready
- Press Shift + Command + 4
- Use your cursor to point to the portion you want to screenshot
- Use your mouse to click and drag over the desired area
- Let go of your mouse to take the screenshot and save it to desktop
If you chose an incorrect area, you can press Esc to cancel the process and start over. Alternatively, you can also hold the Space bar during the selection to drag the selection box over the screen.
Capture a Window or Tab on Mac
Lastly, if you simply want to capture an entire window without any other visible items on the screen, you can follow this method.
- Get your window ready
- Press Shift + Command + 4 + Space bar
- Your window gets highlighted and your cursor turns into a camera icon
- Click to capture the screenshot, or press Esc to cancel
You can also use the Option key to eliminate the window’s shadow in your final screenshot.
Can You Change Screenshot Save Folder?
After learning how to screenshot on Mac and taking them right according to your need, you can easily find your screenshots on your desktop. But if you want to change the default save folder, you can go through the following steps.
- Open the Screenshot app
- Select Options
- Change the save location to your desired folder or path
It is important to remember that this option is only available to users who have macOS Mojave or later versions.
How to Edit Mac Screenshots?
You can always edit a freshly-taken screenshot when it appears as a thumbnail in the corner of your screen. This happens right after you take the screenshot. Alternatively, you can locate the file on your save folder and edit it from there.