Awesome Con, the mid-Atlantic’s largest and most popular comic book convention kicks off Friday June 16th and concludes Sunday June 18th. Awesome Con is a nationally known comic convention, each year bringing a long list of celebrity guests, artists, and more. The three-day comic and anime extravaganza features comics of all sorts, animated shows, science-fiction, movies cosplay, technology, and a whole lot more.
Awesome Con gives attendees the opportunity to explore hundreds of hours of programming that include celebrity panels, expert panels, film, and other memorabilia exhibits. There are also fashion shows, cosplay, costume contests, and even a video game room setup with dozens of video games. Countless comics will be presented by vendors and artists from the local area as well as nationwide and abroad. This year the kids zone, ‘Awesome Con Junior’, will be more educational and playful than years past while other additions include Pride Alley, which features the work of LGBTQ artists as well as a more thought-provoking science and technology pavilion. Awesome Con 2017 is the fourth annual and promises to raise the bar and provide a new Comic Con standard for comic lovers and fans of all things Geeky.
Awesome Con’s Special Guest
Awesome Con was packed last year with well over a hundred different vendors, artist booths, and patrons, and this year promises to draw even more attendees. The vendors typically sell everything from vintage comics to new and lesser known “underground” comics as well as things such as action figures and dolls, hats, t-shirts, collectibles, cartoon videos, trinkets, games, toys, and more. Some of the more famous comic book artists who present and sell their comic books, often hand out a free comic as way of introducing their work to new readers. Comic book authors and artists will sign autographs and pose for pictures, and there is a separate area and designated times where fans can meet and greet celebrity guests. Each year Awesome Con has one special guest, 2017’s special guest is Stan Lee who is best known as the creator of the Spiderman comics as well as X-Men, The Hulk and others.
Attendees should make sure to check out the video game room. During last year’s convention, it featured over 50 different video games that were free to play. Some of the games were set up on huge 10×10 foot mega screens and the lines to play were very short. The panels are interesting and provide insight into the process of creating animation and comics. Authors share their personal stories, knowledge, methods while answering audience questions as well. If you go, you can also expect to see lots of costumes and cosplay.
You Won’t Want to Miss it
Awesome Con is an event comic lovers, geeks, and cosplayers don’t want to miss. If you haven’t made plans yet, you may want to consider visiting the Washington Convention Center on June 16-18. I’ve listed all of the guest info, programming schedule, and other important information below:
When: Friday, June 16; exhibit hall hours 12pm – 8pm, programming until 10pm
Saturday, June 17; exhibit hall hours 10am – 7pm, programming until 10pm
Sunday, June 18; exhibit hall hours 10am – 5pm
Where: Walter E. Washington Convention Center
801 Mt. Vernon Pl NW
Washington, DC 20001
• Stan Lee (Creator of Spider-Man, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, X-Men)
From Doctor Who:
• David Tennant (Doctor Who, Jessica Jones, DuckTales, Broadchurch, Gracepoint)
• Billie Piper (Doctor Who, Penny Dreadful, Secret Diary of a Call Girl)
• Catherine Tate (Doctor Who, The Catherine Tate Show, The Office)
• John Barrowman (Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Torchwood, Doctor Who)
• Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Big Bang Theory, The Guild, Eureka, NUMB3RS)
• Khary Payton (AMC’s The Walking Dead, Teen Titans GO, Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Big Hero 6: The Series)
• Eliza Dushku (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Tru Calling, Dollhouse)
• Kel Mitchell (All That, Game Shakers, Good Burger, Keenan and Kel)
• Jason David Frank (Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers)
• Felicia Day (The Guild, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, Eureka, Supernatural)
• Greg Capullo (Batman, Reborn, X-Force, Quasar, The Creech)
• Scott Snyder (American Vampire, Batman, Swamp Thing, Voodoo Heart)
Cost: Daily and full weekend passes available
• Friday or Sunday Only Admission: $35
• Saturday Only Admission: $45
• 3-Day ‘Geekend’ Pass: $75
• Kids 10 and under: free with coupon code AWESOMEJR
VIP passes & experiences range from $150 to $379 and offer access to various celebrity appearances and special events.
The Awesome Con website is updated regularly with new guests, exciting exhibitors, and special programming.