If you’re running an older iOS, App Store might not let you access new apps. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you must buy a new phone. Instead, try out these easy workarounds and access all the apps you want on your older iPhone.
Developers are increasingly optimizing new releases on the latest iOS for a better experience, design, and protection. As a result, users are pushed to acquire the latest phones to access their favorite apps.
Luckily, we’ve found several legal and safe ways to still access your favorite app without having to replace your older iPhone.
Study the three easy workarounds discussed below and find the most suitable for your device.
- Download Available Version
In most cases, new apps require iOS 13.0 or later to download from the App Store. When users see this message on the app page, they believe that their devices are incompatible. However, you can still access an older version of the app by ignoring the message and hitting the download button. Note that the message on the iOS requirement may not clarify whether you can download an older version of the app.
Follow the steps below.
- Open “App Store” on your device.
- Search for your preferred app.
- Tap on the app icon or name to access the download page.
- Tap the download arrow on the cloud symbol or the “Get” button.
The “Download an older version of this app?” message will appear.
- Hit on the “Download” button to proceed.
If the app still insists on the need for iOS 13 or later, try out the other options discussed below.
- Download Apps You’ve Acquired Before
You can still download the apps that you previously installed on your device. This method is perfect for users who reset their iPhone to factory settings only to find that they now require an updated iOS version to install their apps again.
Besides, App Store may not allow you to download an older version compatible with your phone despite having it installed on your phone a while ago. In this case, try installing the app from the “Purchased” app list. Here’s how.
- Open “App Store.”
- Select the profile icon to open the “Account” page.
- Click “Purchased” to see a list of all the apps you’ve purchased through your iCloud account.
- Scroll through to find your preferred apps.
- Tap the downward arrow on the iCloud icon beside your preferred app to start downloading.
- Use a New Device
Apps on the “Purchased” list should download without issue. But what if the app you want to download isn’t in the “Purchased” list? The best solution would be to find a new device that supports the app.
Remember that the objective here is to include the app in your “Purchased” list. So, ensure that you log into your iCloud account so the app will be saved to your history of purchases. Once you download the app into the new device, it’ll appear in your “Purchased” list, meaning that you can download it as in method 2 above. Here’s how to do it.
- Find an iPhone running a recent iOS version.
- Open “App Store.”
- Download your preferred app.
- Open “App Store” on your old iPhone.
- Hit the profile icon on the top-right to access your account page.
- Select “Purchased” to open a list of all purchased apps.
- Scroll through to find the recently purchased app.
- Tap the download arrow beside the app to install.
The best thing about the three methods discussed here is that you don’t need additional software or apps to get your app. Reliance on third apps for such tasks could present security issues and jeopardize operations on your device.
Moreover, it’s worth noting that these methods may not work for all apps. Some new apps don’t have backward compatibility and only work in the latest iOS version. Nonetheless, it’s well worth giving these methods a go to see if an older version is available for you.
Get Apps on an Old iPhone
Apple’s display of its apps on AppStore should not fool you into thinking that they aren’t compatible with your older iPhone. Use the methods highlighted above and see how incredibly easy it is to get older versions of your favorite apps.