When you are in the market for a new electronic device, you have options. If you don’t wish to purchase a laptop or smartphone brand new because you can’t afford the price, you can buy something that is used at a low price. However, if you have suspicions about a used product, there is a third option available to you. Refurbished electronics are sold like new but at cheaper prices.
What Does it Mean When a Product is Refurbished?
Many people have a misconception with the word “refurbished.” They believe that products that are labeled as such have defects and are being resold with them. However, there are many ways in which an electronic gadget can be considered refurbished. Surprisingly, even a product that was never used by was purchased and returned without the box even being opened is resold as refurbished. In this situation, the item cannot be resold as brand new and typically has a price that is discounted, usually at 30 percent at most.
There are other things that can render a product as refurbished. They include the following:
• Damage during shipping: If an electronic device suffers from minor physical imperfections during shipping, such as dents or scratches, it is returned to the manufacturer so it can be sold as refurbished.
• Demo units: Products that are used as demo units in retail stores or elsewhere cannot be sold as brand new. Instead, they must be repackaged and sold as refurbished items.
• Open box: Products whose boxes were reopened are required to be sold as refurbished, regardless if they were ever used.
• Defects: If there was a defect found in an electronic device like a laptop, the manufacturer can make repairs and then retailers can sell them as refurbished.
Advantages of Refurbished Versus Used Electronics
When you buy used electronics, you never know for sure that you’re getting good quality and can only rely on the word of the seller. With refurbished, however, there are a few advantages you have on your side. They include the following:
• Like new condition: Refurbished electronics like Recompute laptops are repaired and tested to ensure they work properly. Overall, the products are supposed to look and function like new.
• Warranties: Refurbished devices come with warranties of varying length depending on from where the warranty originates.
• Support: You also get support from the manufacturer for assistance with a refurbished electronic device as long as it is the latest model.
How Does Refurbished Differ from New?
Refurbished electronics always come with a smaller price tag compared with brand new devices. It’s possible to purchase laptops, smartphones, tablets, TVs and other electronics for up to 50 percent cheaper when they are refurbished. Additionally, in many cases, when you buy refurbished, you are able to get older models no longer being sold by the manufacturer in stores.