Leatherman Skeletool Review
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love a good gadget. The more it does, the better. Naturally, I was really excited when I received a package from Leatherman Tool Group in the mail earlier this week. They have been kind enough to let me play around with their (in my humble opinion) most awesome gadget yet , the Leatherman Skeletool.
As any gadget-geek knows, a review isn’t worth anything without a thorough list of specs. Here is what this handy little multi-tool has to offer:
- 100% Stainless Steel Body
- 6061-T6 Aluminum Handle Insert
- Weighs only 5 ounces
- Has a closed length of 4 inches
In addition to a feather-light weight and a compact design, the Skeletool sports a lengthy list of useful tools:
- Needle-nose Pliers
- Regular Pliers
- Wire Cutters
- Hard-wire Cutters
- 420 HC Combo SharpenedKnife EDC tool
- Large Bit Driver
- Carabiner/Bottle Opener
- A Bit Kit that includes Phillips #1-2 and Screwdriver 3/16″
Why It’s Better
Multi-tools are a dime a dozen. Ok, not really, but they can be found anywhere and everywhere! To be able to stand out from amongst the mass of competitors, this little Skeletool was going to have to be really awesome. Guess what? It didn’t disappoint me. Aside from the fact that it looks all cyborg-y and cool, the Leatherman Skeletool has features that you just don’t find on most run-of-the-mill multi-tools.
- External Blade- Many multi-tools on the market have blades, but the problem with most of them lies in the blade’s placement. Usually, to access the blade, the multi-tool must be opened up, the blade extended, and then it must be closed again. Only then, is the blade usable. Only have one free hand? You can forget it. Fortunately for Skeletool owners, the designers at Leatherman decided to put in an easily accessible external blade. So easy, in fact, that I just flipped it open, one-handed, while typing.
- Bit Set- The vast majority of multi-tools have screwdrivers. Multiple screwdrivers, actually. Sadly, the more you add to a multi-tool, the bigger, heavier, and more cumbersome it gets. No one wants four separate fold-out screwdrivers weighing their pants down while they are trying to work. The Skeletool is innovative in that it has only one fold out screwdriver that holds 4 separate bits. The extra bits slip neatly inside a tiny space in the casing, leaving the casing super slim and the bits virtually invisible. The bits can be changed out of the screwdriver housing with the press of a button.
- Carabiner- I am all for any and every way to attach a multi-tool to my clothing, instead of having it clunk around inside my pocket or purse. Even so, the pocket clips that normally accompany a multi-tool can be tedious, annoying and even rip clothing (I say that from experience). Because of this, I was delighted to see that Leatherman had the forethought to include a convenient carabiner clip along with the standard pocket clip. Another one-handed wonder, the carabiner’s clip is super easy to work and won’t rip your pants. Bonus: It doubles as a bottle opener!
The Bottom Line
Altogether, in my opinion, the Leatherman Skeletool trumps other multi-tools of the same kind for many reasons. From the ease of use and one-handed features, to the extremely lightweight and compact design, the Skeletool is truly the king of simple multi-tools. I can see this product being extremely useful to a wide array of people. The outdoors guy, handyman, tech geek, and hobbyist will all find a million uses for this helpful little tool.
The wonderful folks as Leatherman Tool Group have also provided us with a Skeletool to giveaway to a lucky fan! Keep your eyes open throughout the day for our big giveaway post.
What do YOU think of the Leatherman Skeletool? Let us know in the comments below!