The dangers of owning a smart phone has made its way into the news once again. Not long ago we talked about a Galaxy S4 exploding and burning down some poor guys house. This time around it is the iPhone that has turned on its owner.
iPhone Kills 23 Year Old Chinese Woman
23 year old Ma Ailun, of China, was charging her iPhone when she received a call on it. Upon answering the call, the still plugged in iPhone electrocuted her to death.
It is still unclear what exactly caused the phone to malfunction, with Ma’s brother claiming the device and its charger were legitimate. Ma’s brother said that the phone and its charger were purchased from an official iPhone store, and was hooked up to an official charger.
The phone has since been sent to the Chinese authorities in order to be investigated. The sale of knock off chargers and phone accessories is a typical thing in China.
After Ma’s death, her sister put up a warning on the internet, trying to dissuade everyone from using their phones while plugged into the wall:
“Ma collapsed and died, while using her charging iPhone I want to warn everyone else not to make phone calls when your mobile phone is recharging.”
The news spread quickly throughout China, leaving Apple with an even more battered reputation in the country.
While death by electrocution from a phone is extremely rare, there are a number of theories about how it happened. A faulty charger, poor wiring, and excessive heat, could have all had something to do with the incident.
Apple commented on the matter, saying:
“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter.”