If you use excel, you need to learn how to apply the accounting number format for accounting purposes. Below is a guideline on the multiple ways to apply the formatting.
Is Accounting Number the Same as Currency Format?
The accounting number looks like the currency format, but in the accounting number, the currency sign is placed to the extreme left of the cell, and zeros are displayed as dashes. Also, the accounting numbers format shows negative numbers as a parenthesis.
The Ribbon Option
- Open your Spreadsheet in Excel.
- Select the cells with the numbers you want to convert.
- Ensure you’re on the “Home” tab in Excel.
- Click the “Number” section.
- Open the down-arrow next to the “Accounting Number Format” option.
Choose your preferred currency.
Your numbers now use the accounting number format.
The Format Cells Method
- Open your spreadsheet
- Select cells with numbers.
- Right-click one of the cells.
- Click “Format Cells.”
A new Window will open.
decimal points on the right-side pane through the “Decimal Places” option.
Click the “Symbol” drop-down menu.
Now click “Ok.”
All the highlighted cells are now in the accounting number format meaning that you’re ready for accounting tasks in your spreadsheets.