Whether for travel, work, or migration purposes, it is always a good idea to prepare and get each of your family members a visa to the United States. Aside from the US giving many benefits and privileges.
Remember that it is a better choice to be ready for any circumstances and for you and your family to have quicker access and more accessible travel to the United States.
Thus, if you ask, is it time to get a family visa to the US? You might see the answer to your contemplating question while reading this article.
What is a Family Visa?
An immigrant visa is required for non-resident citizens who wish to settle legally in the United States. To be qualified for an IV visa, a national immigrant must be supported by a direct relative or family member who is 21 years of age and above. The immediate family member should also have US citizenship, a US permanent resident under the law, or a legal green card owner.
When it comes to the family immigrant visas, there are two categories under this, and these are the following:
- Direct Relative (Immediate Family Member)- this visa is granted based on a direct family connection with a US resident. These family members can be the husband, wife, children, or guardian and parent.
- Family Inclination- this visa These visas are intended for certain, relatively extensive familial links with the US native and some particular relations with a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR).
Keep in mind that if you are a US citizen and permanent resident, you can always apply a petition for an immigrant visa for the following family members:
- Husband or Wife
The Requirements for a family visa
Suppose that you are planning to get a family visa, then you might want to check the required documents and see if you are eligible to get a family visa for you and your loved ones.
Respectively, the US national and the individual applying must fulfill the criteria for the family visa. The initial conditions will decide whether or not the person is qualified for the family visa.
- In this case, you must undergo many assessments, reference checks, interview sessions, application fees, and medical assessments in the United States.
- The contributing family must be at the age of 18 and above (some require 21 years old) and currently living in the United States, and should first submit a request with USCIS for their family representative(s).
- The petitioner should establish and validate their connection and proof of revenue.
- A written declaration of assistance from the sponsor confirming that they would be monetarily accountable for the application for the individual is also required.
- Every potential immigrant is subsequently subjected to thorough character and safety investigations, such as criminality, public safety, and wellness tests, among other things.
- They also check the green card petitions to know if the immigrant would not be subjected to public aid and help.
- You might also need some help and assistance from an immigration lawyer to complete the processing of documents smoothly.
Once the USCIS accepts the application, they will forward it to the National Visa Center (NVC), which instructs the petitioner to fill out several formalities, provide necessary documents, and pay costs. Only when NVC gets all of the necessary paperwork of the immigrant is the candidate interviewed by the immigration office or diplomatic official to verify their qualifications. When the state releases the immigration visa, all candidates should complete the medical assessment done by an accredited health care professional and get the necessary immunizations.
Family Visa K1
The family visa k1, also known as the fiance k-1 non-immigrant visa, is intended for a US resident’s international partner(s). The K-1 visa allows the international partner of a US legal resident to come to the United States and hold their marriage rites with the US citizen guarantor within the ninety (90) days of landing in the United States. The foreign national can finally appeal to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to change their classification from immigrant to legal resident of the United States.
Family Immigrant Visa application time
The family visa application duration is still dependent on what classification you are applying for. If you are petitioning for marriage immigration, it will take 23 to 32 months. For the children immigrants, it would depend on what country the immigrant is located. For the US residents and parents of immigrants, it can range from 10 to 13 months, and lastly, for the siblings, the application may take up to 14 to 16 years.